Pfoutz Valley (Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Pfoutz Valley in Perry County, Pennsylvania, extends from the Juniata River at Millerstown to Thompsontown with a ridge in the center to the Susquehanna at Liverpool, between Turkey and Forge Hills. The northwestern valley near Juniata County, in Little Pfoutz Valley, was the home of the Aukers, Lauvers, Brubakers, and Kauffmans in the 19th century. Caspar Auker was the first Mennonite. His son Henry Auker (23 September 1790 - 24 September 1866) and grandsons Deacon Jonas Auker (12 November 1824 - 18 June 1895) and Bishop William Auker (18 August 1829 - 16 July 1908) lived in the valley. For a number of years the Wardville Schoolhouse was used and later Lock Schoolhouse. The Auker Cemetery east of Thompsontown is a mile west of the Wardville Schoolhouse. By 1903 all Mennonites in the area were coming to Delaware for communion. It was always a part of the Juniata-Snyder Bishop District.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 161-162. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Pfoutz Valley (Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pfoutz_valley_perry_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Pfoutz Valley (Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pfoutz_valley_perry_county_pennsylvania_usa.