Pike Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA)
Pike Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, located two miles west of Elida, Ohio, originated as a daughter of the Salem congregation in 1874, when the first meetinghouse was built, although services had been held soon after Sunday school was started in the Pike area in 1860. The second meetinghouse, built in 1888, which burned in 1930, was replaced in 1934. J. B. Smith (1870-1951) was senior minister at Pike from 1922 to his death. In 1957 Paul Smith and Harold Good were the ministers, with 238 members. At this time the Pike congregation was supporting two mission congregations in Kentucky—Wildcat (1949) and Newfound Mission (1951). The Central Mennonite Church was established in Elida in 1925 by a group of members expelled from the Salem and Pike congregations.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 180. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Pike Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pike_mennonite_church_elida_ohio_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Pike Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pike_mennonite_church_elida_ohio_usa.