Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Fairfield County, Ohio, USA)
Pleasant Hill Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, now extinct, located in Fairfield County, Ohio, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, was founded in the early 1800s by settlers from Rockingham County, Virginia. The first settler, Martin Landis, Sr., built a log meetinghouse at an early date. Henry Stemen, who came in 1803, was ordained minister and later bishop and served the congregation until 1841, when he moved to Allen County, Ohio. In the early years the congregation built a meetinghouse on the farm of Henry Brenneman, father of John M. and George (bishops), Daniel (preacher), and Henry (deacon) Brenneman. Nearly the entire membership moved away from the "Fairfield County hills" to land better suited for farming. The church building was moved across the road just north of the Pleasant Hill cemetery. Later it was sold and the proceeds used to fence the now badly neglected cemetery.
Umble, John. "Extinct Ohio Mennonite Churches." Mennonite Quarterly Review VI (1932): 5-29.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 190. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Fairfield County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pleasant_hill_mennonite_church_fairfield_county.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1959). Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Fairfield County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pleasant_hill_mennonite_church_fairfield_county.