Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church (Harper, Kansas, USA)
Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in Harper County, Kansas, a member of the South Central Conference, was organized in 1888 with 15 charter members. The first meetinghouse, a frame structure, was built in 1897. The present meeting house was built in 1915. The first minister was Jacob Holderman. R. M. Weaver became pastor in 1907 and served the congregation for 39 years. Other ministers who have served the congregation are Andrew Good, Ephraim Shellenberger, Simon Hetrick, George Hinkle, Ben Horst, Noah Ebersole, J. P. Berkey, H. J. King, John Thut, Stephen A. Yoder, Wilbert Nafziger, and Waldo Miller (pastor in the late 1950s). B. F. Hamilton, S. C. Miller, T. M. Erb, David D. Miller, Milo Kauffman, and Gideon G. Yoder served the congregation as bishops. The membership, most of which is rural, was 188 in 1957.
Address: 1020 E 14th Street, Harper, KS 67058; Telephone: 620-896-2004.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 191. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Yoder, Gideon G. "Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church (Harper, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pleasant_valley_mennonite_church_harper_kansas_usa.
APA style: Yoder, Gideon G. (1959). Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church (Harper, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pleasant_valley_mennonite_church_harper_kansas_usa.