Pond Bank Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)
Pond Bank Mennonite Church (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located 10 miles southeast of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, began as a rural mission 3 April 1910, and was organized as a congregation in July 1942, when Andrew Lehman was ordained deacon. William W. Hege, a minister from Marion, was largely responsible for the beginning of the work. In 1921 Hege was succeeded by Harvey E. Shank, who was ordained bishop in 1946. The latter's son Luke J. Shank was ordained to the ministry 29 December 1946. They were still serving in 1957; the membership was 57. In the late 1950s the congregation was a member of the Washington County, Maryland, and Franklin County, Pennsylvania Mennonite Conference, but later joined the Conservative Mennonite Conference.
Address: 6555 Duffield Road, Chambersburg, PA 17201;
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 201. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Shank, Harvey E. "Pond Bank Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pond_bank_mennonite_church_chambersburg.
APA style: Shank, Harvey E. (1959). Pond Bank Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/pond_bank_mennonite_church_chambersburg.