Prischib (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)
Prischib, a village and volost of a Protestant and Roman Catholic German settlement west of the Molotschna River and the Molotschna Mennonite settlement in the Ukraine, Russia, province of Taurida, was established in 1804 and consisted of 125,000 acres and 27 villages. The village of Prischib, 33 miles north of Melitopol, was the administrative center of the settlement just across the Molotschna River from the Mennonite administrative center of Halbstadt. In 1913 the population was 810, in 1919, 1,185. Numerous business enterprises and a Zentralschule, established in 1873, a girls' school, an institution for the deaf, and a bookstore were located in the village. Gottlieb Schaad published the Molotschnaer Volks-Kalender at Prischib from 1881 on. There was a lively exchange of cultural and economic values between the Molotschna Mennonites and their Prischib neighbors.
Blank, Emil. "Die Prischiber Volost." Neuer Haus und Landwirtschafts-Kalender. Odessa, 1913: 107 ff.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 219-220. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Prischib (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/prischib_zaporizhia_oblast_ukraine.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Prischib (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/prischib_zaporizhia_oblast_ukraine.