Providence Mennonite Church (Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA)
Providence Mennonite Church (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was started in 1952 as a Sunday school conducted by a small group from the Kempsville Amish (Beachy Amish) Church. In the same year the church was organized by the Executive Committee of the Conservative Mennonite Conference. The meetinghouse was built in 1953. Simon Coblentz, a minister from the Maple Grove Conservative Amish Mennonite Church, Hartville, Ohio, was called to take charge of the congregation of 16 members, and was ordained as bishop on 11 October of the same year. A few other families also moved in from Ohio. The membership in 1957 was 65, with Noah Miller as minister.
In 2011 the leading minister was Dale Keffer and the congregational membership was 34.
Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2011. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2011: 53.
Address: 5363 Old Providence Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Web site: http://www.providencemennonite.org
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 223. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Coblentz, J. Simon and Richard D. Thiessen. "Providence Mennonite Church (Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/providence_mennonite_church_virginia_beach.
APA style: Coblentz, J. Simon and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Providence Mennonite Church (Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/providence_mennonite_church_virginia_beach.