Rappenau (Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
Rappenau (Bad), a village (1945 population, 2,688; 20,667 in 2006; coordinates: 49° 14′ 0″ N, 9° 6′ 0″ E) in northern Baden, Germany, 10 miles southeast at Sinsheim. In 1766-1862 the neighboring Martinshof was the seat of a Mennonite congregation. In 1862 the center was transferred to Rappenau. In 1887 the congregation had 50 members besides 33 children. In 1914 and 1924 there were 48 members. The Adressbuch of 1936 lists 19 baptized members: a Hotel family living in Rappenau, Fellmann and Schmutz in Fürfeld, Fellmann and Glück in Wimpfen. Jakob Glück of Wimpfen had been elder since 1919, and Oskar Fellmann, also of Wimpfen, preacher since 1935. The congregation was listed for the last time in the Gemeinde-Kalender of 1940; its members joined the Heilbronn congregation.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 429.
Mannhardt, H. G. Jahrbuch der altevangelischen Taufgesinnten oder Mennoniten. Danzig, 1888: 32.
Mennonitisches Adressbuch. Karlsruhe, 1936: 160.
Mennonitischer Gemeinde-Kalender (formerly Christlicher Gemeinde-Kalender). (1914): 141; (1924): 135; (1935): 133; (1939): 127.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 252-253. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Crous, Ernst. "Rappenau (Baden-Württemberg, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rappenau_baden_wurttemberg_germany.
APA style: Crous, Ernst. (1959). Rappenau (Baden-Württemberg, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rappenau_baden_wurttemberg_germany.