Red River Valley Mutual Insurance Company (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)
Red River Valley Mutual Insurance Company of Altona, Manitoba was founded in 1941 as a private commercial mutual insurance agency, which took over some of the members of the former Mennonite Church fire insurance association in the West Reserve, which had been founded in 1900 as a breakaway from the East Reserve association (see Canada and States Mennonite Insurance Association), but which had had its own "insurance elder" under the East Reserve plan since the original settlement in the West Reserve in 1875. The remaining members continued in the Manitoba Mennonite Mutual Insurance Company with headquarters at Steinbach, Manitoba, which was incorporated in 1940, one year earlier. The Red River Company, which did not restrict its patrons to Mennonites as did the Manitoba Mutual, but served the general public (although the majority of its policyholders are still Mennonites), had 5,800 policyholders in 1955, with about $37,000,000 property coverage. Approximately one third of its 5,520 members were members of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference (Kleine Gemeinde).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 263. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Reimer, David P. "Red River Valley Mutual Insurance Company (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/red_river_valley_mutual_insurance_company_altona.
APA style: Reimer, David P. (1959). Red River Valley Mutual Insurance Company (Altona, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/red_river_valley_mutual_insurance_company_altona.