Reiff Mennonite Church (Washington County, Maryland, USA)
Reiff Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), formerly known as Witmer's Church, is located near Maugansville, Washington County, Maryland. In 1833 a group of families from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, settled on homesteads in this community. Families represented were Reiff, Horst, Weber, Eshleman, and Martin. They worshiped in the nearby home of David Reiff until 1840, when a church was built on the present site and named for the man who granted the deed. In 1867 it was enlarged, and in 1891 it was replaced by a new brick building. The present building, the largest in the district, was erected in 1928. The first bishop, Peter Eshleman, was ordained in 1838. Ministers who have served the congregation were John Summers, Michael Horst (later bishop), Abram Ebersole, Jacob Risser, George Keener, C. R. Strite, Martin E. Risser, D. R. Lesher, Moses K. Horst (present bishop), Stanley H. Martin, and Reuben E. Martin. The membership in 1957 was 389.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 276. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Risser, John D. "Reiff Mennonite Church (Washington County, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/reiff_mennonite_church_washington_county_maryland_usa.
APA style: Risser, John D. (1959). Reiff Mennonite Church (Washington County, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/reiff_mennonite_church_washington_county_maryland_usa.