Renesse (Zeeland, Netherlands)
Renesse, a town on the island of Schouwen-Duiveland, Dutch province of Zeeland, was the seat of a (Flemish) Mennonite congregation in the early 17th century. The congregation, which bought a house in 1644, where "public Mennonite meetings" were held, and of which Jan Aelwyns was a preacher in 1646, occasionally received financial support from the Rotterdam congregation. It had only a very small membership and died out before 1660.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1883): 110; (1907): 153, 168.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 300. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Renesse (Zeeland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/renesse_zeeland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Renesse (Zeeland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/renesse_zeeland_netherlands.