Robach (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Robach (now Robakowiec; coordinates: 54.153, 19.241 [54° 9′ 10″ N, 19° 14′ 27″ E]) is located approximately 9.5 kilometers (6 miles) west of Elbląg (Elbing), 11 km. (7 mi.) south-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 18 km. (11 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 47 km. (29 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Until 1772 Robach was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Robach was located. Robach was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today it is a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists seven Mennonite families in Robach with the following surnames: Claasen, Dick, Hans, Siemens, Wall, Willem, and Wittenberg. In 1820 there were 36 inhabitants in Robach, of which 11 were Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Robach were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Robakowiec." Web. 23 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robakowiec.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Robach (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/robach_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Robach (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/robach_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.