Rockhill Mennonite Church (Telford, Pennsylvania, USA)
Rockhill Mennonite Church (MC), near Telford, Montgomery and Bucks counties, Pennsylvania, a member of the Franconia Mennonite Conference, formerly called Bechtel's, then Gehman's (the name Rockhill only since about 1910), was organized between 1744 and 1764. The first meetinghouse was erected between 1737 and 1773. In 1838 the second meetinghouse was erected, and in 1925 the third. Early preachers were Isaac Kolb 1744-1776, Samuel Bechtel 1764-1802, Abraham Gehman 1770-1792, and Samuel Gehman 1799-1845. The first deacon was Michael Derstine (died 1777). A small faction left in 1848 to join the new Oberholtzer (General Conference Mennonite Church) group. In 1957 the congregation had 221 members, with Arthur D. Ruth as bishop, and Edwin A. Souder, Clinton D. Landis, and Alfred A. Detweiler as preachers.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 347. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Rockhill Mennonite Church (Telford, Pennsylvania, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rockhill_mennonite_church_telford_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Rockhill Mennonite Church (Telford, Pennsylvania, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/rockhill_mennonite_church_telford_pennsylvania_usa.