First Mennonite Church (Shafter, California, USA)
Shafter First Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church) a member of the Pacific District, had its beginnings with the migration of Mennonites to the area in 1918-19, stimulated by H. J. Krehbiel of Reedley. Meetings were held in homes, the Santa Fe school, and later in a small church erected on Scaroni Avenue. Herman Janzen was the first leader. When some of the Mennonites moved away, those remaining joined other denominations for a time, but when Krehbiel returned to Shafter in 1935, the congregation reorganized and in 1937 built the present church at the corner of Golden West and Wall Streets. The congregation had 56 members in 1957, with Ramon H. Jantz as pastor.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 509. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bartel, John. "First Mennonite Church (Shafter, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shafter_first_mennonite_church.
APA style: Bartel, John. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Shafter, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shafter_first_mennonite_church.