Shirk's Mennonite Church (Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Shirk's Mennonite Church, now extinct, was located in Hanover Township, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. The area was settled by the Dohner, Miller, Peiffer, Moyer, Getze, Hain, and other families. On 26 October 1823 Peter and Barbara Sherick deeded to Jacob Sherick 73 perches for the building of an "Unpartheyish Menist Gemeinhouse." After a few decades (1845), the United Brethren claimed most of the membership and the house for many years. In the 1950s it was still intact, a large unused unpainted frame house, a bleak reminder of a religious ancestry. A cemetery lay east of the church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 515. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Shirk's Mennonite Church (Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shirks_mennonite_church_lebanon_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1958). Shirk's Mennonite Church (Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shirks_mennonite_church_lebanon_county_pennsylvania_usa.