Souderton Mennonite Church (Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Souderton Mennonite Church, located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Franconia Conference, began in 1879 when families of the Franconia and the Rockhill Mennonite congregations living in Souderton built the first house of worship in Souderton. The congregation was organized in 1891. The first communion was held on 19 April 1891, when 68 members partook. Ministers from established Mennonite congregations accepted appointments to preach at Souderton until 1914, when the first minister there was ordained. Ministers who have served the congregation with the date of ordination were Jacob M. Moyer, minister 1914; bishop 1947; Elmer B. Moyer (d. 1957) minister 1919; Russell B. Musselman, minister 1948. The membership in 1958 was 470; Stanley Shenk was assisting in the ministry. A considerable number have left from here to build mission stations into congregations in the outlying areas.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937.
Address: 105 W. Chestnut Street, Souderton, PA 18964
Web site: http://www.soudertonmennonite.org/
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 582. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Moyer, Jacob M. "Souderton Mennonite Church (Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/souderton_mennonite_church.
APA style: Moyer, Jacob M. (1959). Souderton Mennonite Church (Souderton, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/souderton_mennonite_church.