First Mennonite Church (Summerfield, Illinois, USA)
First Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church) at Summerfield, Saint Clair County, Illinois, a member of the Middle District Conference, was founded by immigrants who came from the Palatinate, Germany, about the middle of the 19th century. The first regular church service of the group was held at the home of John Kraemer, 4 miles southeast of Summerfield, on 30 November 1856. A church building at the southern outskirts of Summerfield was dedicated on 23 January 1859. Daniel Hege of Lee County, Iowa became the first pastor of the church. More than a dozen families came with him into the community. The church aligned itself at once with the General Conference Mennonite movement, and in 1863 the third session of the conference was held at Summerfield, in which it was decided to establish the first Mennonite school at Wadsworth, Ohio. In 1910 the congregation bought the abandoned Methodist church in Summerfield, and with some changes and renovations has used it as the place of worship ever since. The membership in 1957 was 92, with Ernest W. Neufeld serving as pastor.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 656. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bazinger, Elmer. "First Mennonite Church (Summerfield, Illinois, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/summerfield_first_mennonite_church.
APA style: Bazinger, Elmer. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Summerfield, Illinois, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/summerfield_first_mennonite_church.