Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, USA)
Sunnyside Mennonite Church, located 3 miles northeast of Conneaut Lake and 8 miles west of Meadville, Pennsylvania, is one of three congregations (with Britton Run, 1931 and Beaverdam, 1940) formed in northwestern Pennsylvania by families moving in from the Middle West, particularly Iowa and Nebraska, in 1925-1940 in search of good farming opportunities. The majority of the first families at Sunnyside came in 1937 from Manson, Iowa. Forty-four prospective members, who had been worshiping at the Mennonite mission in Meadville, asked the Ohio and Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference for organization, which was effected in October 1937. The meetinghouse was built in stages between 1938 and 1944. J. W. Oswald of Nebraska served as pastor 1940-1947. In 1957 the membership was 95, with Harvey Schrock serving as pastor.
Oswald, Belmer. "The Planting and Growth of a Community in Northwestern Pennsylvania." Menn. Community VI (July 1952): 6-12.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 662-663. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sunnyside_mennonite_church.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sunnyside_mennonite_church.