Western Gospel Mission
Western Gospel Mission, an
inter-denominational undertaking, was organized in early 1944 by members of
the Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church (Evangelical Mennonite Conference [EMC]) near Steinbach,
Manitoba. In June 1946 it was reorganized when three congregations of the
Evangelical Mennonite Church -- Steinbach, Kleefeld, and Prairie Rose -- united
in the project. Four years later, because of the great needs and many open
doors, other groups of evangelical Christians were invited to take part. Incorporated
in 1956, with a federal charter, it operated in three of the ten Canadian
provinces -- Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Ontario, with headquarters in
Steinbach, Manitoba. The work was carried on from seven main stations, from
which resident missionaries operate the outstations. The main stations at
Weekes, Canora, Kamsack, Wynyard, Pelly, and Danbury in Saskatchewan also
served Mozart, Neely Lake, Haglof, Veregin, White Beech, Stenen, and Arabella.
In Manitoba, Dominion City, Grand Marais, and Mafeking were main stations
serving also Victoria Beach, Beaconia, Falcon Beach, Roseau Indian Reserve,
Balsam Bay, Baden, Bellsite, and Noora. In Ontario a work was started early in
1958 at Kenora.
The purpose of the mission
was to bring the Gospel into the neglected areas of Canada. The aim was to
establish indigenous Sunday schools and churches as soon as possible. The board
of directors of eleven members, three from the Rudnerweide Mennonite Church
(now Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference [EMMC]) and eight from the Evangelical
Mennonite Church, were chosen by the board themselves, except for the three
founding churches which elected their own representatives. Since 1957 the
mission published a 6-page Bulletin.
In 1960 the two conferences mutually decided to divide the fields. Dominion City, Wynyard, Grand Marias and the Indian reserve went into the EMMC. Danbury, Weekes, Pelly, Canora, Kamsack and Mafeking joined the EMC. The division took effect on 1 March 1961, and the mission closed.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 933-934. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Reimer, Ben D. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Western Gospel Mission." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2007. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/western_gospel_mission.
APA style: Reimer, Ben D. and Richard D. Thiessen. (2007). Western Gospel Mission. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/western_gospel_mission.