White Cloud Mennonite Church (White Cloud, Michigan, USA)
White Cloud Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, located one mile southeast of White Cloud, Michigan, is in the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. Mennonite families from the Shore congregation in Lagrange County, Indiana, began moving into the area in 1896. Regular Sunday-school services were started in a schoolhouse in 1898 and the next year Bishop P. Y. Lehman of Indiana organized a congregation of 22 charter members. In 1900, when the congregation had grown to 35 members, Bishop John F. Funk ordained Jacob P. Miller (1850-1927) to the ministry. On 1 May 1901, P. Y. Lehman ordained him as bishop. In 1903 the congregation began to worship in a building known as the Union Church, and for a time was known by this name. After 1910 J. P. Miller was no longer located at White Cloud, and T. U, Nelson (1870-1950) became the long-time preacher, having been ordained by Miller on 5 December 1910. The pastor of the church in 1958 was Edward D. Jones, and the membership was 54.
Address: 1506 S Walnut Avenue, White Cloud, MI; Phone: 231-689-0928.
Beechy, Winifred Nelson. "History of the White Cloud Mennonite Church." Mennonite Historical Bulletin (July 1952): 1-4.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 939-940. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "White Cloud Mennonite Church (White Cloud, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/white_cloud_mennonite_church.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1959). White Cloud Mennonite Church (White Cloud, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/white_cloud_mennonite_church.