Wickrath (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany)
Wickrath, an imperial district on the Niers River, was bordered by Jülich to the south, west and north, and the Archbishopric of Cologne to the east. The baron of Quadt-Wickrath accepted in his domain the Mennonites who had been expelled from Holland in 1652. In September 1663 he received an imperial demand to "deliver the Anabaptists taken in by him who had been expelled from other territories, of whom there were about 50 in the Wickrath domain," in the space of three months, because "this forbidden sect was everywhere making inroads into the empire." At first this command was disregarded, but ten years later the Mennonites had to leave Wickrath. Most of them went to adjacent Rheydt, where until 1694 they enjoyed the protection of the barons of Rylandt-Rheydt and then were expelled by Johann Wilhelm, the Palatine Elector.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 941. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Niepoth, Wilhelm. "Wickrath (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wickrath.
APA style: Niepoth, Wilhelm. (1959). Wickrath (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wickrath.