Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA)
Wolf Creek, a Hutterite Bruderhof, located on the James River, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, some 40 miles northeast of the first Bruderhof at Bon Homme, was founded in the spring of 1875 by preachers George Hofer and Darius Walter, who were both chosen and confirmed in Russia. Preacher Michael Stahl, who was also chosen in Russia, was confirmed by Peter Wedel, the elder in Alexanderwhol in 1865, and died in the Tschetter commune (South Dakota) in 1900. Elias Walter, Sr. was chosen preacher here in 1889. This was the mother Bruderhof of the Dariusleut, one of the three Hutterite kinship groups in America, named after Darius Walter. The group arrived in South Dakota 10 August 1874, and settled first at Silver Lake where they wintered until they could occupy the 5,400-acre tract at Wolf Creek that they had purchased the previous summer. In 1930 the Bruderhof was sold and the Brethren founded the Wolf Creek Bruderhof in Alberta, which in 1950 numbered 76 souls, with 35 baptized members.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 970. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Decker, David. "Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wolf_creek_hutterite_bruderhof_hutchinson_county.
APA style: Decker, David. (1959). Wolf Creek Hutterite Colony (Hutchinson County, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wolf_creek_hutterite_bruderhof_hutchinson_county.