From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:26, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Église Évangélique Mennonite de Pfastatt (Pfastatt Mennonite Church), which has its meeting­house at Rue de L' Etang 3 in the village of Pfastatt on the northwest side of Mulhouse, was organized in 1912 as a result of a division in the Pulversheim congregation, when a minority started to meet in the home of a Mennonite family in Pfastatt. When the Pulversheim meetinghouse was burned during World War I, most of the Pulversheim mem­bers began to attend at the Pfastatt location. The necessity of building a meetinghouse resulted in a second division over the question of location, and although the majority built in Pfastatt (1922-23) a minority rebuilt in Pulversheim. World War II damages to the Pfastatt church were severe but were soon repaired. Pfastatt in 1957 was the largest Mennonite congregation in Alsace, with 265 souls including unbaptized children and second in France only to Montbéliard. At that time the elder was Joseph Widmer, of Modenheim, assisted by the ministers Henri Goldschmidt of Bourtzwiller, Hermann Nussbaumer of Wittenheini, Jaques Nussbaumer of Reiningen, and Max Schowalter of Pfastatt. The members lived in Bourtzwiller, Isenheim, Modenheim, Willenheim, Upper Asach, and Guebwiller. Heinrich Schneider of Isenheim signed the Dordrecht Confession in 1660. In the late 1950s the Conference of Mennonites of Alsace-Lorraine held its annual meeting at Pfastatt on Ascension Day.

Bibliography

Almanach Mennonite du Cinquantenaire 1901-1951. Montbéliard, 1951.

Christ Seul (December 1951).

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 359.


Author(s) Ernst Crous
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Crous, Ernst. "Église Évangélique Mennonite de Pfastatt (Pfastatt, Haut-Rhin, Alsace, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=%C3%89glise_%C3%89vang%C3%A9lique_Mennonite_de_Pfastatt_(Pfastatt,_Haut-Rhin,_Alsace,_France)&oldid=83856.

APA style

Crous, Ernst. (1959). Église Évangélique Mennonite de Pfastatt (Pfastatt, Haut-Rhin, Alsace, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=%C3%89glise_%C3%89vang%C3%A9lique_Mennonite_de_Pfastatt_(Pfastatt,_Haut-Rhin,_Alsace,_France)&oldid=83856.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 157-158. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.