From GAMEO
Revision as of 13:51, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search
Allegany County, MD US Census TIGER/Line map
Allegany County lies in the mountainous western neck of Maryland. Formed from Washington County in 1776, it originally included the present Garrett County, which lies to the west. Garrett County was formed from Allegany County in 1872.

As early as 1800 Amish settlers were settled on lands in the present area of Garrett County and Mennonites followed in later years. (See Somerset County, Pennsylvania and Garrett County, Maryland.)

A Mennonite congregation, member of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Mennonite Conference (MC), was located at Pinto, a village eight miles (13 km) southwest of Cumberland. This congregation, extending into Mineral County, West Virginia, was organized 27 November 1927.

A mission outpost was maintained at Flintstone, a village twelve miles (20 km) east of Cumberland, by the Mennonite churches of Washington County.


Author(s) Ivan J Miller
Date Published 1955


Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, Ivan J. "Allegany County (Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allegany_County_(Maryland,_USA)&oldid=90800.

APA style

Miller, Ivan J. (1955). Allegany County (Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allegany_County_(Maryland,_USA)&oldid=90800.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 55. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.