The Altona Evangelical Mennonite Mission congregation in Manitoba began services in 1949. The first building was occupied in 1951, with subsequent building programs in 1968, and 1986. B.W. Sawatzky and Wilhelm Falk are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church.
The congregation grew with the dissolution of EMMC churches at Neubergthal, Eigenhof and Rosenfeld.
In 1965 there were 200 members; in 1975, 255; in 1985, 369; in 2000, 658. The congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference. The languages of worship are English and German; the transition from German occurred in the 1970s.
Pastor Frank Friesen served in 2008 as a congregational leader.
EMMC Recorder (Oct. 1986): 1.
Hildebrand, Rose. "The History of Four EMMC Churches." 1986, 46 pp.
MHSC collection, MAO.
Hoeppner, Jack. Search for Renewal: The Story of the Rudnerweider / Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference 1937-1987. 1987.
Address: 158 2nd St. NE, Altona, Manitoba
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Altona Evangelical Mennonite Mission Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 13 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Evangelical_Mennonite_Mission_Church_(Altona,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=53788.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Altona Evangelical Mennonite Mission Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Evangelical_Mennonite_Mission_Church_(Altona,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=53788.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.