Difference between revisions of "Altona Mennonite Church (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130823)
m (Text replace - "<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Reporter</em>" to "''Mennonite Reporter''")
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:94-14-1727.jpg|300px|thumb|right|'' Altona Mennonite 
+
[[File:94-14-1727.jpg|300px|thumb|right|'' Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse<br />Joe Nighswander photo'']]     
 
+
The Altona Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]) is an extinct congregation of the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] which met in the Altona Mennonite meetinghouse, situated on the Pickering-Uxbridge town line, Ontario County, three miles (five km.) east of the village of Stouffville. The [[Stauffer family|Stouffers]] came to this village 1804. [[Bergey (Bergy, Berke, Berkey, Berki, Berkij, Berky, Birkey, Birki, Birky, Borcki, Borcky, Buerckey, Buercki, Beerie, Buergey, Buergi, Buerki, Burckey, Burcky, Burgey, Burkey, Bürki, Bürky, Burky) family |Barkeys]], [[Hoover (Hover, Hoober, Huber, Huver, Hueber) family|Hoovers]], Nighswanders, [[Lehman (Lehmann, Layman, Leemann, Leeman, Leaman) family|Lehmans]], and several other families spread into this area from Markham. Daniel Kreider was minister in 1825. In 1852 the present brick building was erected, although a schoolhouse on  this  site  was  used for preaching many years before. Altona is listed in the meeting calendar for 1854 for a meeting every four weeks. In 1858 the ministers' conference ordained a minister and a deacon for the district. Daniel Lehman became deacon in 1851, followed by Jacob R. Reesor, Samuel G. Reesor, and Isaiah Hoover, who became deacon in 1913. Samuel Hoover was ordained minister in 1873 and served 20 years. He was followed by John G. Hoover. In the spring of 1920 the work was relinquished to the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonite]] faction and the remaining members transferred to the [[Wideman Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Wideman Mennonite Church]] in Markham. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1870s.
Meetinghouse
 
 
 
Joe Nighswander  
 
 
 
photo'']]    The Altona Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]) is an extinct congregation of the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] which met in the Altona Mennonite meetinghouse, situated on the Pickering-Uxbridge town line, Ontario County, three miles (five km.) east of the village of Stouffville. The [[Stauffer family|Stouffers]] came to this village 1804. [[Bergey (Bergy, Berke, Berkey, Berki, Berkij, Berky, Birkey, Birki, Birky, Borcki, Borcky, Buerckey, Buercki, Beerie, Buergey, Buergi, Buerki, Burckey, Burcky, Burgey, Burkey, Bürki, Bürky, Burky) family |Barkeys]], [[Hoover (Hover, Hoober, Huber, Huver, Hueber) family|Hoovers]], Nighswanders, [[Lehman (Lehmann, Layman, Leemann, Leeman, Leaman) family|Lehmans]], and several other families spread into this area from Markham. Daniel Kreider was minister in 1825. In 1852 the present brick building was erected, although a schoolhouse on  this  site  was  used for preaching many years before. Altona is listed in the meeting calendar for 1854 for a meeting every four weeks. In 1858 the ministers' conference ordained a minister and a deacon for the district. Daniel Lehman became deacon in 1851, followed by Jacob R. Reesor, Samuel G. Reesor, and Isaiah Hoover, who became deacon in 1913. Samuel Hoover was ordained minister in 1873 and served 20 years. He was followed by John G. Hoover. In the spring of 1920 the work was relinquished to the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonite]] faction and the remaining members transferred to the [[Wideman Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Wideman Mennonite Church]] in Markham. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1870s.
 
  
 
The building is located on Lot 30, Concession 9 of Pickering Township, on the Pickering-Uxbridge Townline.
 
The building is located on Lot 30, Concession 9 of Pickering Township, on the Pickering-Uxbridge Townline.
Line 11: Line 6:
 
See also: [[Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)|Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse]]
 
See also: [[Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)|Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse]]
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Reporter</em> (24 December 1990): 13.
+
''Mennonite Reporter'' (24 December 1990): 13.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 82|date=April 1986|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C.|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 82|date=April 1986|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C.|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}
 +
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Ontario Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Canadian Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Extinct Congregations]]

Latest revision as of 21:37, 1 January 2017

Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse
Joe Nighswander photo

The Altona Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) is an extinct congregation of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario which met in the Altona Mennonite meetinghouse, situated on the Pickering-Uxbridge town line, Ontario County, three miles (five km.) east of the village of Stouffville. The Stouffers came to this village 1804. Barkeys, Hoovers, Nighswanders, Lehmans, and several other families spread into this area from Markham. Daniel Kreider was minister in 1825. In 1852 the present brick building was erected, although a schoolhouse on  this  site  was  used for preaching many years before. Altona is listed in the meeting calendar for 1854 for a meeting every four weeks. In 1858 the ministers' conference ordained a minister and a deacon for the district. Daniel Lehman became deacon in 1851, followed by Jacob R. Reesor, Samuel G. Reesor, and Isaiah Hoover, who became deacon in 1913. Samuel Hoover was ordained minister in 1873 and served 20 years. He was followed by John G. Hoover. In the spring of 1920 the work was relinquished to the Old Order Mennonite faction and the remaining members transferred to the Wideman Mennonite Church in Markham. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1870s.

The building is located on Lot 30, Concession 9 of Pickering Township, on the Pickering-Uxbridge Townline.

See also: Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse

Bibliography

Mennonite Reporter (24 December 1990): 13.


Author(s) Joseph C. Fretz
Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Altona Mennonite Church (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 21 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Mennonite_Church_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=141948.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Altona Mennonite Church (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Mennonite_Church_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=141948.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 82. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.