From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Anchor Mennonite Church was a member of the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]]. It started as a Sunday school at the Rockford schoolhouse, five miles (eight km) south of Anchor, formed by a group of about 14 families who had moved there from [[North Danvers Mennonite Church (Danvers, Illinois, USA)|North Danvers]], [[Illinois (USA)|Illinois]] in 1884. In 1894 [[Stuckey, Joseph (1825-1902)|Joseph Stuckey]], who had frequently visited and preached in the community, organized a church, of which [[Augspurger, Aaron (1865-1953)|Aaron Augspurger]] was elected pastor, and that joined the [[Central Conference Mennonite Church|Central (Illinois) Conference]]. A frame building 30 ft. x 40 ft. was erected in 1910. The 1949 membership was 31. The congregation dissolved in 1953.
 
The Anchor Mennonite Church was a member of the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]]. It started as a Sunday school at the Rockford schoolhouse, five miles (eight km) south of Anchor, formed by a group of about 14 families who had moved there from [[North Danvers Mennonite Church (Danvers, Illinois, USA)|North Danvers]], [[Illinois (USA)|Illinois]] in 1884. In 1894 [[Stuckey, Joseph (1825-1902)|Joseph Stuckey]], who had frequently visited and preached in the community, organized a church, of which [[Augspurger, Aaron (1865-1953)|Aaron Augspurger]] was elected pastor, and that joined the [[Central Conference Mennonite Church|Central (Illinois) Conference]]. A frame building 30 ft. x 40 ft. was erected in 1910. The 1949 membership was 31. The congregation dissolved in 1953.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 119|date=1953|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=Grace|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 119|date=1953|a1_last=Miller|a1_first=Grace|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 18:42, 20 August 2013

The Anchor Mennonite Church was a member of the General Conference Mennonite Church. It started as a Sunday school at the Rockford schoolhouse, five miles (eight km) south of Anchor, formed by a group of about 14 families who had moved there from North Danvers, Illinois in 1884. In 1894 Joseph Stuckey, who had frequently visited and preached in the community, organized a church, of which Aaron Augspurger was elected pastor, and that joined the Central (Illinois) Conference. A frame building 30 ft. x 40 ft. was erected in 1910. The 1949 membership was 31. The congregation dissolved in 1953.


Author(s) Grace Miller
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, Grace. "Anchor Mennonite Church (Anchor Township, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 1 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Anchor_Mennonite_Church_(Anchor_Township,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74772.

APA style

Miller, Grace. (1953). Anchor Mennonite Church (Anchor Township, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Anchor_Mennonite_Church_(Anchor_Township,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74772.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 119. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.