From GAMEO
Revision as of 18:43, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Mennonites settled in the Ste. Elizabeth, Arnaud, and Dominion City areas of Manitoba in 1925. They met to worship in private homes and rented facilities when these became available. In 1927 the Lichtenau Mennonite Church (Lichtenauer Mennoniten Gemeinde) was formally organized. In 1929 it was decided to build a meeting house at Ste. Elizabeth. This was the first meeting house built by the 1920s Mennonite immigrants in western Canada. Travel conditions and means made it difficult for the entire group to worship together at Ste. Elizabeth. So in 1944 another meeting house was built in Arnaud. The Mennonite Brethren families had already built a meeting house in Arnaud in 1935 so many of the other Mennonite families worshiped there until 1944. An attempt at remaining an equal congregation in the Lichtenauer Mennoniten Gemeinde did not work out so two independent congregations emerged after 1944, the Lichtenau Mennonite Church at Ste. Elizabeth and the Arnaud Mennonite Church. They did cooperate in some programmes such as the Jugendverein. For some major celebrations, such as the 40th anniversary of the settlement in 1965 the three congregations, Lichtenau, Arnaud Mennonite Brethren, and Arnaud Mennonite celebrated together. The Arnaud Mennonite Church continued to survive after the Arnaud Mennonite Brethren congregation dissolved in 1980 and the Lichtenau congregation in 1990.

The congregation has been affiliated with the Mennonite Church Manitoba, the Conference of Mennonites in Canada/Mennonite Church Canada (1945-) and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1947-1999). The language of worship is English.

Contents

Bibliography

CMC Nexus (Sept. 1994): 1.

Friesen, E. J. "Church Beginnings in a New Land: Arnaud-Ste. Elizabeth 1925-1944." Research paper, CMBC, 1985, 16 pp. MHC.

Harder, Peter R.  Arnaud Through the Years. 1974: 393.

Kathler, Jacquie. "A Look at the Arnaud Mennonite Church from 1965-1982." Research paper, CMBC, 1982, 31 pp. MHC.

Toews, Tamara. "A History of the Arnaud Mennonite Church and its Changes from 1924-1986." Research paper, CMBC, 1986, MHC.

Additional Information

Address: 41 Smith Avenue East, Arnaud, Manitoba R0A 0B0

Phone: 204-427-2263

Denominational Affiliations:

Mennonite Church Manitoba

Mennonite Church Canada

Arnaud Mennonite Church Leading Ministers

Minister Years
Abram Warkentin 1944-1965
Peter Harder 1953-1959
John Krueger 1962-1976
David Wiebe 1977-1986
Jacob Funk 1986-1990
Abe Neufeld 1990-1991
Byron Rempel-Burkholder 1992-1993
Lynell Bergen & Bryan Dyck 1993-2000
Lynne & Omar Martin

(Omar died 2002)

2001-2007
Dave Lepp 2008-

Arnaud Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1950  87
1965  110
1975  88
1985  100
1995  99
2000  96
2009  94


Author(s) Peter R. Harder
Sam Steiner
Date Published May 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Harder, Peter R. and Sam Steiner. "Arnaud Mennonite Church (Arnaud, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2012. Web. 2 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arnaud_Mennonite_Church_(Arnaud,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=74938.

APA style

Harder, Peter R. and Sam Steiner. (May 2012). Arnaud Mennonite Church (Arnaud, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arnaud_Mennonite_Church_(Arnaud,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=74938.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.