Augsburger Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church [MC]), at Berne, Indiana, was formed in 1869, when the families of Preacher Christian Augsburger (1821-1903), George Fox, John Stauffer, and Peter Steiner withdrew from the Berne Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite). In the Herald of Truth for June 1871 services are listed for the Augsburger Church every three weeks. On 29 and 30 April 1871, John F. Funk and Daniel Brenneman visited the Augsburger congregation. Services were conducted in the P. C. Steiner and Christian Augsburger homes, and in a school. On 11 June 1871, Bishop John M. Brenneman of Elida, Ohio, received Augsburger and his group of 11 charter members into the fellowship of the Mennonite Church (MC). Augsburger's death in 1903 marked the end of regular services in the congregation. But as late as 1955 one of Augsburger's daughters was still living, a woman of 82, who still considered herself a member of the Mennonite Church group.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
 Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Augsburger Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Augsburger_Mennonite_Church_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=94056.
Wenger, John C. (1959). Augsburger Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Augsburger_Mennonite_Church_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=94056.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.