The Avon Mennonite congregation began services and formally organized in 1952. The first building was occupied in 1952, with a subsequent building program in 1994. The congregation originated through outreach efforts by Floyd Baechler and Alvin Lebold. In October 1994 the congregation moved from 478 Brunswick Street to become part of the Mennonite-owned senior citizen complex on Greenwood Drive.
Minister Herb Sawatzky served in 2009 as a congregational leader. In 1965 there were 18 members; in 1975, 31; in 1985, 44; in 1995, 69; in 2000, 92. The congregation has been affiliated with the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference (1952-1988), the Mennonite Church (1952-1999), Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada/Mennonite Church Canada (1995-). The language of worship is English.
Mennonite Reporter (22 August 1994): 15; (19 September 1994): 16; (12 December 1994): 5.
Church records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: 90 Greenwood Dr., Stratford, ON, N5A 7W5
Website: Avon Mennonite Church
|Date Published||July 2000|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Avon Mennonite Church (Stratford, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2000. Web. 7 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Avon_Mennonite_Church_(Stratford,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75032.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (July 2000). Avon Mennonite Church (Stratford, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Avon_Mennonite_Church_(Stratford,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75032.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.