"Sisters Shantz and Ball" founded the Aylmer Mennonite Brethren in Christ Gospel Mission in 1900. For a short while the group, under the leadership of the City Mission Workers, held services in an upstairs auditorium over what is now Spicer’s Bakery. Later in 1900 they purchased a property at 75 Talbot St W. For over 50 years the mission was located in this building with the upper story used as a residence for those giving pastoral leadership and on Sundays three of these rooms were used for Sunday School. In the mid 1950s a church building on Elm & Oak Streets was erected. This building served the congregation well until due to crowded conditions the present building constructed in 1990. In 1947 the denomination changed its name to United Missionary Church; subsequent name changes followed, but the congregation has always been part of the Missionary Church family of congregations.
By 1950 there were 49 members. In 1975 there were 47 members; in 1985 61 members. Brian Morris served as pastor in 2009.
Aylmer Evangelical Missionary Church. "History." 2008. http://www.aemc-aylmer.net/history.htm (accessed 3 April 2009)
Address: 600 Talbot Street West, Aylmer, Ontario N5H 2T8
Website: Aylmer Evangelical Missionary Church
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada
|Date Published||April 2009|
Cite This Article
Pugh, Donald and Sam Steiner. "Aylmer Evangelical Missionary Church (Aylmer, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2009. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Aylmer_Evangelical_Missionary_Church_(Aylmer,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=54116.
Pugh, Donald and Sam Steiner. (April 2009). Aylmer Evangelical Missionary Church (Aylmer, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Aylmer_Evangelical_Missionary_Church_(Aylmer,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=54116.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.