Bank Mennonite Church (originally Mennonite Church, now Southeastern Mennonite Conference ) is located 2.5 miles (4 km) west of Dayton, Virginia, on the bank of Dry River in the Ashby district of Rockingham County. The first church, likely built in 1847, was enlarged in 1870, and served as a place of worship until the 1890s. The church now standing on the grounds was dedicated on 20 August 1893.
The Bank congregation belonged to the Middle District of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. In 1953 it had a membership of 201 under the leadership of Joseph Heatwole and Melvin Heatwole. In 1972 the congregation became part of a group that formed the Southeastern Mennonite Conference. In 2007 the church had a membership of 122.
It was in this church that John S. Coffman, the pioneer Mennonite evangelist, was ordained to the ministry on 18 July 1875. This church figured most largely in the Virginia branch of the Wisler Mennonite division (Old Order Mennonite) of the Middle District of the Virginia Conference at the close of the 19th century.
Address: Two miles south of Hinton on Hinton Road (#752), Hinton, Virginia
Denominational Affiliation: Southeastern Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Harry A Brunk|
Cite This Article
Brunk, Harry A. "Bank Mennonite Church (Dayton, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bank_Mennonite_Church_(Dayton,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=54206.
Brunk, Harry A. (1953). Bank Mennonite Church (Dayton, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bank_Mennonite_Church_(Dayton,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=54206.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.