Beams of Light (Periodical)
The Beams of Light, first published 24 December 1905 by the Gospel Witness Company, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, was a four-page illustrated paper for children of the home and Sunday school. It contained short articles, stories, and poems, as well as contributions from its young readers. Until 23 June 1907 the inside two pages contained a discussion of the Sunday-school lesson. Except for issues from 30 June 1907 to April 1908, which were 9 x 12 inches, the size of the paper remained 6 x 9 inches until January 1951, when it was enlarged to 8 x 11 inches. After April 1908 the paper was published by the Mennonite Publication Board and the Mennonite Publishing House. Beams of Light ceased publication on 29 December 1957, and was continued by Story Friends.
Beams of Light was edited by Daniel Kauffman, D. H. Bender, A. D. Martin, J. A. Ressler, Lina Z. Ressler, Betty Weber Springer and Helen Trumbo. The four-page paper contained selected stories and original stories by Mennonite authors, illustrated frequently by Mennonite artists, for the ages from four to eight years. The circulation in 1952 was 20,000.
|Author(s)||Ellrose D Zook|
Cite This Article
Zook, Ellrose D. "Beams of Light (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beams_of_Light_(Periodical)&oldid=91011.
Zook, Ellrose D. (1953). Beams of Light (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beams_of_Light_(Periodical)&oldid=91011.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 254-255. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.