Beatrice Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), formerly Second Mennonite Church, Beatrice, Nebraska, was organized as an independent congregation in 1926 with 75 charter members. The Mennonites who settled in and near Beatrice originally worshiped at different places but constituted one congregation under one elder. Those residing in and near the city at first worshiped in a rented hall. In 1901 a church was built in Beatrice and Sunday school was introduced. The Christian Endeavor society was organized in 1903. Sam D. Ruth conducted a mission Sunday school on Sunday afternoon for over 20 years.
In 1926 the group decided to organize as an independent congregation. By 1953 the membership totaled 174. H. T. Reimer and Jacob Wiebe, elected as lay ministers previous to the organization, served the congregation occasionally after 1926. M. M. Horsch, 1927-1939, was elected as the first full-time minister, followed by Reynold Weinbrenner, 1939-1942, H. A. Claassen, 1943, E. Koontz, 1944-1948, and E. R. Friesen, 1948- . The church was enlarged in 1929 and a full basement added in 1950. The present building was built in 1960 and designated "The Church of the Sermon on the Mount."
Address: 1220 Summit Street, Beatrice NE
Website: Beatrice Mennonite Church
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin and Cornelius Krahn. "Beatrice Mennonite Church (Beatrice, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 6 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beatrice_Mennonite_Church_(Beatrice,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=54347.
Gingerich, Melvin and Cornelius Krahn. (1953). Beatrice Mennonite Church (Beatrice, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beatrice_Mennonite_Church_(Beatrice,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=54347.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.