From GAMEO
Revision as of 18:42, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Benevolent Organization of Mennonites (Mennonite Church) received its charter from the state of Illinois 23 April 1894, and was evidently taken over by the Mennonite Evangelizing Board in 1896. The charter was signed by M. S. Steiner, John S. Coffman, Abiah R. Zook, Jonas S. Hartzler, and Solomon D. Ebersole. According to its charter, its purpose was "to support, maintain and carry on home and foreign missions, hospitals, orphans' homes, training schools for the education of nurses, deaconesses and Bible students." In a meeting in Chicago, December 1894, the organization assumed responsibility for the Home Mission in Chicago, pledged itself to pay the expenses of an evangelist to be sent to Dickson County, Tennessee, considered establishing an orphans' home, and recommended Elkhart Institute to those who wanted a practical education. That year it elected M. S. Steiner president, J. S. Hartzler vice-president, A. B. Kolb secretary, and A. R. Zook treasurer.



Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Benevolent Organization of Mennonites (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Benevolent_Organization_of_Mennonites_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=54439.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Benevolent Organization of Mennonites (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Benevolent_Organization_of_Mennonites_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=54439.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 274. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.