From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
m (Text replace - "Ohio (State)" to "Ohio (USA)")
 
(2 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Berlin Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Berlin, [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], began in 1917 as a mission station or branch of the [[Martins Creek Mennonite Church (Millersburg, Ohio)|Martins Creek Church]] to afford a place of worship for members who did not have transportation to attend the services at Martins Creek during the winter. The Martins Creek congregation purchased a store and apartment house in 1917 and converted it into a church. The first meeting was held in March 1918, in the face of bitter opposition from the people of the community on account of the [[Conscientious Objection|conscientious objector]] position of the members. In 1934 a minor division occurred when Earl Miller withdrew with eight or ten members to organize an independent congregation. In 1940 spring and fall communion services were conducted in the Berlin Church for the first time. In 1944 the group was organized as a separate congregation under the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference]] with Simon W. Sommer pastor and D. D. Miller of Martins Creek bishop. The 1953 membership was 157. In 2008 the membership was 275; Ernest Hershberger was the pastor.
+
The Berlin Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Berlin, [[Ohio (USA)|Ohio]], began in 1917 as a mission station or branch of the [[Martins Creek Mennonite Church (Millersburg, Ohio)|Martins Creek Church]] to afford a place of worship for members who did not have transportation to attend the services at Martins Creek during the winter. The Martins Creek congregation purchased a store and apartment house in 1917 and converted it into a church. The first meeting was held in March 1918, in the face of bitter opposition from the people of the community on account of the [[Conscientious Objection|conscientious objector]] position of the members. In 1934 a minor division occurred when Earl Miller withdrew with eight or ten members to organize an independent congregation. In 1940 spring and fall communion services were conducted in the Berlin Church for the first time. In 1944 the group was organized as a separate congregation under the [[Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference (MC)|Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference]] with Simon W. Sommer pastor and D. D. Miller of Martins Creek bishop. The 1953 membership was 157. In 2008 the membership was 275; Ernest Hershberger was the pastor.
 
+
 
+
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 4718 US Rte. 62 East, Berlin, Ohio 44610
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 4718 US Rte. 62 East, Berlin, Ohio 44610
Line 14: Line 12:
  
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA]
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio)|Map:Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio)]]
 
[[Map:Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio)|Map:Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 285|date=1953|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 285|date=1953|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]

Latest revision as of 03:25, 20 February 2014

The Berlin Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Berlin, Ohio, began in 1917 as a mission station or branch of the Martins Creek Church to afford a place of worship for members who did not have transportation to attend the services at Martins Creek during the winter. The Martins Creek congregation purchased a store and apartment house in 1917 and converted it into a church. The first meeting was held in March 1918, in the face of bitter opposition from the people of the community on account of the conscientious objector position of the members. In 1934 a minor division occurred when Earl Miller withdrew with eight or ten members to organize an independent congregation. In 1940 spring and fall communion services were conducted in the Berlin Church for the first time. In 1944 the group was organized as a separate congregation under the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference with Simon W. Sommer pastor and D. D. Miller of Martins Creek bishop. The 1953 membership was 157. In 2008 the membership was 275; Ernest Hershberger was the pastor.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 4718 US Rte. 62 East, Berlin, Ohio 44610

Phone: 330-893-2320

Website: Berlin Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA

Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Maps

Map:Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio)


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Mennonite_Church_(Berlin,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113212.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1953). Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Mennonite_Church_(Berlin,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113212.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 285. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.