The Berne Evangelical Mennonite Church is located four miles (6 1/2 km) west and one-half mile (one km) north of Berne, Indiana. This congregation was the first in the Defenseless Conference to build a church. The church, built in 1871 by Bishop Henry Egly, the founder of the Defenseless Mennonite Church, was replaced by a larger one in 1881. This building, remodeled in 1937 and again in 1948, had a seating capacity of 350. The membership in 1951 was 250.
In 1880 the church experienced a great revival, 75 converts being baptized and added to the church. It observed its seventy-fifth anniversary on 24 November 1946. Pastors who served the church through 1951 included Bishop Henry Egly (founder), Joseph Egly, Christ Egly (sons of the founder), Moses Rupp, David Schindler, C. N. Stucky, Eli Lantz, E. M. Becker, Henry Klopfenstein, and N. J. Schmucker, pastor beginning 1935.
Address: 5481 South 450 West, Berne, Indiana
Website: Berne Evangelical Mennonite Church
Denominational affiliation: Fellowship of Evangelical Churches
|Author(s)||N. J Schmucker|
Cite This Article
Schmucker, N. J. "Berne Evangelical Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berne_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=54517.
Schmucker, N. J. (1953). Berne Evangelical Mennonite Church (Berne, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berne_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=54517.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.