Bethel Mennonite Church (Norristown, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Bethel Mennonite Mission began in 1959 as an outreach to African-Americans in Norristown, Pennsylvania. Markley H. Clemmer (1911-1984), pastor at First Mennonite Church in Norristown, provided the initial pastoral leadership for the mission.
In the mid-1960s congregational leadership began to be shared with African-American pastors, including Arthur Jackson, Hubert Brown and Arthur J. Griffin. In about 1973 Herman Douglas joined the team, and began the lead minister.
For most of its life, the congregation owned a church on Thomas Street in Norristown.
In 1990, at the initiative of Pastor Ertell W. Whigham, Bethel merged with First Mennonite Church and Fuente de Salvación, to form a multi-cultural and bilingual congregation known as Nueva Vida Norristown New Life Mennonite Church. The sale of the First Mennonite and Bethel buildings helped to finance purchase of a new facility on East Marshall Street.
Good, Sheldon C. "On a winding path, Franconia minister found community." Mennonite World Review 6 June 2011. Web. 4 October 2016. http://www.mennoworld.org/archived/2011/6/6/winding-path-franconia-minister-found-community/?print=1
Mennonite Yearbook (1959-1990)
Address: 849 Thomas Street, Norristown, Pennsylvania
Bethel Mennonite Church Pastoral Leaders
|Markley H. Clemmer||1959-1973|
|Arthur J. Griffin||1972-1975|
|Herman W. Douglas||1973-1985|
|Ertell M. Whigham||1985-1990|
Bethel Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||October 2016|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Norristown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2016. Web. 25 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Norristown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=136149.
Steiner, Sam. (October 2016). Bethel Mennonite Church (Norristown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Norristown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=136149.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.