Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 18:49, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130820)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Birney Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite) among the North Cheyenne Indians was located eight miles (13 km) south of the town of Birney, Montana, Rosebud County, on the Tongue River Indian Reservation. This work was begun by P. A. Kliewer who was in charge until 1920. Habegger from Busby substituted in 1919-1920, while the Kliewers had a year's furlough. Other workers were Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Wiebe, 1921-1922; Otto B. Pankratz, 1923-1926; native pastor Frank Littlewolf, 1926-1942; and native pastor Milton Whiteman, 1942-1947. Alfred Habegger was then in charge, coming from Busby and then from Lame Deer during the week to minister to the people here. Up to 1949, the total baptisms were 58, with a membership of 40 that year. This work has closed in the 1980s.


Author(s) Alfred Habegger
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Habegger, Alfred. "Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 27 Jul 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Birney_Mennonite_Mission_(Birney,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=75674.

APA style

Habegger, Alfred. (1953). Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 July 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Birney_Mennonite_Mission_(Birney,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=75674.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 345. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.