Blumengart Hutterite Colony (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Blumengart, a Hutterite Bruderhof, six miles (10 km) south west of Plum Coulee, Manitoba, in the 1940s owned a little over 4,000 acres of land, which had formerly belonged to Mennonites who migrated to Mexico. It was settled by the Hutterites in 1922, when Johann Hofer moved to the site with 15 families. In 1933 Samuel Kleinsasser was chosen preacher. In 1938 he with 11 families founded the Sturgeon Creek Bruderhof four miles north of Headingly, Manitoba. In 1942 Jakob Hofer was chosen preacher. In 1947 Blumengart numbered 118 souls, of whom 47 were baptized members.

Daughter colonies of Blumengart Hutterite Colony include: Blumengard (Faulkton, South Dakota); Sturgeon Creek (Headingly, Manitoba); Pembina (Darlingford, Manitoba); and Blue Clay (Arnaud, Manitoba).

In 2012 the colony was a member of the  the Schmiedeleut Group 2.

Additional Information

Location Plum Coulee, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.133055, -97.7947222 [49° 07′ 59″ N, 97° 47′ 41″ W])

Address: Box 13, Plum Coulee, Manitoba, R0G 1R0

Switchboard Phone: 204-829-3607

Managers and Ministers

Manager Minister Years
Jacob Maendel Ike Waldner 2006
Tim Waldner Ike Waldner 2010
Tim Waldner Ike Waldner 2017

Maps

Map:Blumengart Hutterite Colony (Plum Coulee, Manitoba)


Author(s) David Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published September 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Blumengart Hutterite Colony (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2017. Web. 20 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumengart_Hutterite_Colony_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=154348.

APA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (September 2017). Blumengart Hutterite Colony (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumengart_Hutterite_Colony_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=154348.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 371. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.