Difference between revisions of "Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "<strong>Address</strong>:" to "'''Address''':")
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
Boyertown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was formerly known as [[Colebrookdale (Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Colebrookdale]], being located in that township in [[Berks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Berks County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. It's present address is 275 Mill Street Rd., Boyertown. The first church was built between 1772 and 1780, as a convenience to save the members a six-mile trip (10 km) to their home church at Hereford. Until 1953 Boyertown was a branch of the [[Bally Mennonite Church (Bally, Pennsylvania, USA)|Hereford congregation]]. A new building replaced the old in 1819 and finally in 1879 a one-story brick structure located on Reading Avenue in the center of the Boyertown business district was built.
 
Boyertown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was formerly known as [[Colebrookdale (Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Colebrookdale]], being located in that township in [[Berks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Berks County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. It's present address is 275 Mill Street Rd., Boyertown. The first church was built between 1772 and 1780, as a convenience to save the members a six-mile trip (10 km) to their home church at Hereford. Until 1953 Boyertown was a branch of the [[Bally Mennonite Church (Bally, Pennsylvania, USA)|Hereford congregation]]. A new building replaced the old in 1819 and finally in 1879 a one-story brick structure located on Reading Avenue in the center of the Boyertown business district was built.
  
 
The Oberholtzer schism of 1847 divided the congregation and both groups continued to worship in the building on alternate Sundays. In 1877, the new group sued the old group for equal rights in a proposed new building. When a decision was brought against the old group, they appealed to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1883. This resulted in a decision which declared the original group of the [[Franconia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Franconia Mennonite Conference]] to be the rightful owner of the property.
 
The Oberholtzer schism of 1847 divided the congregation and both groups continued to worship in the building on alternate Sundays. In 1877, the new group sued the old group for equal rights in a proposed new building. When a decision was brought against the old group, they appealed to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1883. This resulted in a decision which declared the original group of the [[Franconia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Franconia Mennonite Conference]] to be the rightful owner of the property.
  
Sunday school was begun in 1899, was later discontinued, and revived in 1913. The group in 1953 had a membership of 33, served by Alfred Detweiler, a minister of the Rockhill congregation. In 2005 the membership was 125.
+
Sunday school was begun in 1899, was later discontinued, and revived in 1913. The group in 1953 had a membership of 33, served by Alfred Detweiler, a minister of the Rockhill congregation.  
 +
 
 +
In 1969 the congregation built a new facility at the present location. In 2015 the membership was 90.
  
 
See also [[Lawsuits|Lawsuits]]
 
See also [[Lawsuits|Lawsuits]]
 +
= Bibliography =
 +
"Introducing Boyertown Mennonite Church." Franconia Mennonite Conference. 12 December 2013. Web. http://franconiaconference.org/introducing-boyertown-mennonite-church/.
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
<strong>Address</strong>: 275 Mill Street, Boyertown, Pennsylvania
+
'''Address''': 275 Mill Street, Boyertown, Pennsylvania
  
<strong>Phone</strong>: 610-369-1974
+
'''Phone''': 610-369-1974
  
<strong>Website</strong>:[http://www.boyertownmennonitechurch.org/ Boyertown Mennonite Church]
+
'''Website''':[http://www.boyertownmennonitechurch.org/ Boyertown Mennonite Church]
  
<strong>Denominational Affiliations:</strong>
+
'''Denominational Affiliations:'''
  
 
[http://www.franconiaconference.org/ Franconia Mennonite Conference]
 
[http://www.franconiaconference.org/ Franconia Mennonite Conference]
Line 21: Line 26:
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania)|Map:Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania)]]
 
[[Map:Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania)|Map:Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania)]]
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 399|date=1953|a1_last=Leatherman|a1_first=Quintus|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
+
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 399|date=September 2016|a1_last=Leatherman|a1_first=Quintus|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}
  
 
[[Category:Churches]]
 
[[Category:Churches]]

Latest revision as of 22:36, 8 November 2016

Boyertown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was formerly known as Colebrookdale, being located in that township in Berks County, Pennsylvania. It's present address is 275 Mill Street Rd., Boyertown. The first church was built between 1772 and 1780, as a convenience to save the members a six-mile trip (10 km) to their home church at Hereford. Until 1953 Boyertown was a branch of the Hereford congregation. A new building replaced the old in 1819 and finally in 1879 a one-story brick structure located on Reading Avenue in the center of the Boyertown business district was built.

The Oberholtzer schism of 1847 divided the congregation and both groups continued to worship in the building on alternate Sundays. In 1877, the new group sued the old group for equal rights in a proposed new building. When a decision was brought against the old group, they appealed to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1883. This resulted in a decision which declared the original group of the Franconia Mennonite Conference to be the rightful owner of the property.

Sunday school was begun in 1899, was later discontinued, and revived in 1913. The group in 1953 had a membership of 33, served by Alfred Detweiler, a minister of the Rockhill congregation.

In 1969 the congregation built a new facility at the present location. In 2015 the membership was 90.

See also Lawsuits

Bibliography

"Introducing Boyertown Mennonite Church." Franconia Mennonite Conference. 12 December 2013. Web. http://franconiaconference.org/introducing-boyertown-mennonite-church/.

Additional Information

Address: 275 Mill Street, Boyertown, Pennsylvania

Phone: 610-369-1974

Website:Boyertown Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Franconia Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Maps

Map:Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania)


Author(s) Quintus Leatherman
Sam Steiner
Date Published September 2016


Cite This Article

MLA style

Leatherman, Quintus and Sam Steiner. "Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2016. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Boyertown_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=139825.

APA style

Leatherman, Quintus and Sam Steiner. (September 2016). Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Boyertown_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=139825.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 399. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.