Bragado, FCO, Argentina, 120 miles (210 km) southwest of Buenos Aires, is the location of a Mennonite church under the Argentine Mennonite Conference, a mission field under the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Elkhart).
The Bible Institute for the Argentine Mennonite Church has also been located in Bragado since 1935. The boys' orphanage on a 20-acre farm and the girls' home are also located here.
One hears of the visits of Bible colporteurs to this place years ago, and it is also known that the Methodists had a Gospel hall for some time at the beginning of the 20th century at the very site of the present Mennonite church. When the first Mennonite missionaries, D. P. and Lillie Lantz, came to Bragado in 1926 they found no traces of any former Gospel work, but a city of 15,000 people without evangelical witness.
The first Gospel messages were given in a rented hall, and the first seven converts were baptized on 5 January 1927. The following missionaries have served the church here: D. P. and Lillie Lantz, J. W. Shank, Amos and Edna Swartzentruber, Nelson and Ada Litwiller, L. S. and Edna Weber, and B. Frank and Anna H. Byler. To January 1949 a total of 124 persons were baptized in this church. Bragado is the county seat and there are several towns and villages scattered throughout the county. Gospel work was also being done in near-by towns and there are baptized believers in Mechita, General O'Brien, Comodoro Py, and Quiroga. The total Bragado membership in these towns was 120 in 1953.
The missionaries who had charge of the work in Bragado and its circuit at the same time carried so many other responsibilities that it was not possible to realize what might have been done, had there been more workers and pastors on the field.
Cite This Article
Litwiller, Nelson. "Bragado (Buenos Aires, Argentina)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 1 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bragado_(Buenos_Aires,_Argentina)&oldid=55013.
Litwiller, Nelson. (1953). Bragado (Buenos Aires, Argentina). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bragado_(Buenos_Aires,_Argentina)&oldid=55013.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.