From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Brennemans Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located two miles (three km) west of Edom, Rockingham County, Virginia, under the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The original church was built in 1826 on the farm of Melchior Brenneman (1775-1828), and was used for both school and church services. At some unknown date a larger church, 40 x 50 ft., was built, which was in continuous use until 1919, when the building was sold. What remained of the membership then worshiped at the Lindale Church one mile north of Edom. A Sunday school was conducted at Brennemans for some years beginning about the year 1870. Joseph Geil (1858-1945) attended this Sunday school as a barefoot boy. This was probably the first Sunday school held in the Northern District of the Virginia Conference.


Author(s) Timothy Showalter
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Showalter, Timothy. "Brennemans Mennonite Church (Edom, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brennemans_Mennonite_Church_(Edom,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=91229.

APA style

Showalter, Timothy. (1953). Brennemans Mennonite Church (Edom, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brennemans_Mennonite_Church_(Edom,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=91229.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 418. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.