From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][unchecked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Bridgeport, formerly a village near [[Kitchener-Waterloo (Ontario, Canada)|Kitchener]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]], was annexed to Kitchener in 1973. A short distance from Bridgeport was located the [[Bridgeport Union Church (Bridgeport, Ontario, Canada)|Union church]], built in 1848, in which Mennonites, [[Church of the United Brethren in Christ|United Brethren]], and Lutherans at various times held services. Perhaps as early as 1890, Mennonites conducted Sunday school in the church and a few years later had preaching services there every four weeks, although they never organized a congregation. Around 1918 Mennonite meetings were discontinued and the work closed.
 
Bridgeport, formerly a village near [[Kitchener-Waterloo (Ontario, Canada)|Kitchener]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]], was annexed to Kitchener in 1973. A short distance from Bridgeport was located the [[Bridgeport Union Church (Bridgeport, Ontario, Canada)|Union church]], built in 1848, in which Mennonites, [[Church of the United Brethren in Christ|United Brethren]], and Lutherans at various times held services. Perhaps as early as 1890, Mennonites conducted Sunday school in the church and a few years later had preaching services there every four weeks, although they never organized a congregation. Around 1918 Mennonite meetings were discontinued and the work closed.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Bridgeport (Ontario)|Map:Bridgeport (Ontario)]]
 
[[Map:Bridgeport (Ontario)|Map:Bridgeport (Ontario)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 428|date=1953|a1_last=Burkholder|a1_first=Lewis J|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 428|date=1953|a1_last=Burkholder|a1_first=Lewis J|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 18:50, 20 August 2013

Bridgeport, formerly a village near Kitchener, Ontario, was annexed to Kitchener in 1973. A short distance from Bridgeport was located the Union church, built in 1848, in which Mennonites, United Brethren, and Lutherans at various times held services. Perhaps as early as 1890, Mennonites conducted Sunday school in the church and a few years later had preaching services there every four weeks, although they never organized a congregation. Around 1918 Mennonite meetings were discontinued and the work closed.

Maps

Map:Bridgeport (Ontario)


Author(s) Lewis J Burkholder
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Burkholder, Lewis J. "Bridgeport (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bridgeport_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=76021.

APA style

Burkholder, Lewis J. (1953). Bridgeport (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bridgeport_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=76021.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 428. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.