The Brighton Mennonite Church (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church), of Chicago, Illinois, was previously named Hoyne Avenue Mission (1907), Mennonite Rescue Mission (1908-1916), and Brighton Mission Chapel (1916-1940). In January 1940 the name was changed to Brighton Mennonite Church of Chicago. In 1919 an almost new church was bought one-half mile (one km) east of the mission hall at 34th Place and Wolcott St. In November 1919 the congregation moved into the new quarters. It had a membership of 80 in 1950. In 1916 this work was placed in charge of G. P. Schultz. Two hundred and thirty-four persons were baptized from 1916-1950. At its peak the highest average Sunday-school attendance was never over 250. The shifting of population and changes in religious trends of the newcomers caused a major decrease in the Sunday-school attendance and church membership. After G. P. Schultz's retirement in 1951, a number of pastors served for shorter periods of time. The church closed in 1976.
Smith, Willard. Mennonites in Illinois. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983: 164.
|Author(s)||George P. Schultz|
Cite This Article
Schultz, George P. and Sam Steiner. "Brighton Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2009. Web. 29 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brighton_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=76030.
Schultz, George P. and Sam Steiner. (2009). Brighton Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brighton_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=76030.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.