Brno (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Brno (German, Brünn), Moravia (Jihomoravský kraj), Czech Republic (pop. 360,000 in 2006), formerly the seat of the Moravian Provincial Diet or Estates (Landtag). Moravia once belonged to the kingdom of Bohemia and with it fell to the Habsburgs in 1526. After 1918 it was part of the Czechoslovakian Republic (Czech Republic after 1993). Since the 18th century Brno was also the seat of a Catholic bishop, while formerly it belonged to the diocese of Olomuce (Olmütz). The Hutterite Chronicle reports that in the 16th century four Anabaptist brethren were martyred in this city, among them Thoman and Balthasar Waldhausen in 1528, and Wilhelm Griesbacher of Tyrol in 1535. As seat of the Provincial Diet, the city is often mentioned in the Chronicle, particularly at the time of the imminent outbreak of the Thirty Years' War. Brno has a Provincial State Archive (Landesarchiv) which contains most valuable Anabaptist source material, namely, 15 Hutterite manuscript books (about half of them of the 16th and 17th centuries) and the famous Beck Collection, comprising 104 files with transcripts and some originals of practically everything Hutterite, or of some relationship to this brotherhood. (See Beck, Joseph von). The material was widely used by scholars up to the great political changes around 1940.
Bender, Harold S. "Anabaptist Manuscripts in the Archives at Brno, Czechoslovakia." Mennonite Quarterly Review (1949): 105-107. He lists, however, only 12 codices instead of 15.
Cite This Article
Friedmann, Robert. "Brno (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brno_(Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=91241.
Friedmann, Robert. (1953). Brno (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brno_(Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=91241.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.