Mennonites migrated to the Turner County in South Dakota in 1874. Several Mennonite Brethren families settled in the Brothersfield Township in Turner County. On 27 May 1877 the group organized a church, electing Cornelius Guenther as their leader. The original name was the Brüderfeld Mennonite Brethren Church. Later that year, Heinrich Adrian was elected minister and served the congregation until he moved to Kansas in 1902.
By 1881 Adrian and Isaac Loewen were meeting with four groups: the Brothersfield congregation, Silver Lake MB Church, one in Wittenberg Township, and one in Rosefield Township. In the mid 1880s 31 members joined the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, and in 1886 another 79 members, over half the membership, joined the Adventists.
Eventually, membership declined. Some families moved to Saskatchewan while others moved to Buhler, Kansas and Mountain Lake, Minnesota. Those who remained in South Dakota settled in the Silver Lake area, and by 1913, the last family left the community. The church building was sold in 1912.
Centennial Book Committee, Marion, South Dakota. A Tale of Three Cities – Marion, Dolton & Monroe. Freeman, SD: Pine Hill Press, 1979.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2009|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Brothersfield Mennonite Brethren Church (Parker, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2009. Web. 28 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brothersfield_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Parker,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=62666.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2009). Brothersfield Mennonite Brethren Church (Parker, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brothersfield_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Parker,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=62666.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.