Butler County, Missouri U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Butler County, Missouri
, was the home of a small group of Old Order Amish
Mennonites from about 1920 to 1924. About 15 families, consisting of settlers mostly from Reno County, Kansas
, including families of Miller
, Chupp, and Mast
, lived in the area between Poplar Bluff and Harviell. The one and only minister of the group was Chriss Bontrager. The settlement was never very substantial, and in 1924 most of the Amish moved 50 miles (80 km) east to Scott County and to other states. The Amish buried a few of their people in the county, but later took up their remains and shipped them to Kansas.
|| John A Hostetler
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Hostetler, John A. "Butler County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 7 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butler_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=55318.
Hostetler, John A. (1953). Butler County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butler_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=55318.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 486. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.