The Cachipay Mennonite Church (Iglesia Cristiana Menonita de Colombia (IMCOL); formerly General Conference Mennonite) is a school and evangelistic center located on a small farm near Cachipay, Cundinamarca, Colombia, about 40 miles (65 km) southwest of Bogota, the capital. The work began in the fall of 1945, with the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Stucky, Janet Soldner, and Mary Becker. They studied the Spanish language for one year in Medellin, and then began active work on 1 February 1946, opening a boarding school for underprivileged children, most of whom are the children of lepers. The school operated with the co-operation of the American Leprosy Missions, who heavily subscribed to the financial obligations of this work. In 1947 the school was organized as the Colegio Evangelico Colombiano with 24 children, and the mission was incorporated under the laws of Colombia as the Misión Menonita Colombiana. The school in 1953 had a capacity of about 100 children. The mission staff increased in 1948 to include Alice Bachert and Mr. and Mrs. LaVerne A. Rutschman, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Keiser in 1949. The school served as the hub for the evangelistic activities of the mission. In Cachipay there was an active and growing congregation of believers with a membership of approximately 60 in 1953.
 Cite This Article
Stucky, Gerald. "Cachipay Mennonite Church (Cachipay, Cundinamarca, Colombia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cachipay_Mennonite_Church_(Cachipay,_Cundinamarca,_Colombia)&oldid=86442.
Stucky, Gerald. (1953). Cachipay Mennonite Church (Cachipay, Cundinamarca, Colombia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cachipay_Mennonite_Church_(Cachipay,_Cundinamarca,_Colombia)&oldid=86442.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.