From GAMEO
Revision as of 06:28, 20 February 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Caledonia (Michigan) Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located in Kent County, where Mennonite settlers built a church in 1865. Many of the first settlers in 1864-1865 came from Ontario; others were from Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Resident ministers included Abram Detweiler, Henry Wismer, Peter Steiner, Jacob Hahn, Christian C. Beery, and Christian G. Wenger. By 1867 there were 40 members, but the congregation never prospered. In 1881 a new church was built.

Ten years later disagreements on doctrine and other matters arose and helped bring about the dissolution of the congregation by 1910. The building burned in 1923. The present Bowne Church is located about 12 miles (20 km) from the site of the Caledonia Church but the two congregations were always distinct and independent.


Author(s) John C Wenger
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C. "Caledonia Mennonite Church (Kent County, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Caledonia_Mennonite_Church_(Kent_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113745.

APA style

Wenger, John C. (1953). Caledonia Mennonite Church (Kent County, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Caledonia_Mennonite_Church_(Kent_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113745.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 490. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.